O.-H. Kwon, I. Hong, J. Yang, D. Y. Wohn, W.-S. Jung and M. Cha, "Urban green space and happiness in developed countries", EPJ Data Science 10, 28 (2021).
- Ph.D. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2019.
- Social complex systems (advisor: Woo-Sung Jung)
- M.S. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2012.
- B.S. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2010.
- Center for Humans and Machines (Director: Iyad Rahwan), Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Germany
- Seoul Institute of Technology, Korea
- Visiting Researcher, Aug 2020 - Dec 2020.
- Asia Pacific Center for Theoretical Physics, Korea
- Kellogg School of Management & Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems, Northwestern University, USA
- Visiting Predoctoral Fellow, Oct 2017 - Aug 2018. (Supervisor: Hyejin Youn)
- Computational social science
- Complex systems
- Science of cities
- Future of work
- Digital mobilization
- Human mobility
- Science of science
- Data Science Group, Institute for Basic Science (Korea), Feb 2020.
- Growth Lab, Harvard Kennedy School (USA), Jun 2017.
- Santa Fe Institute (USA), Feb 2016.
- Aalto University (Finland), Feb 2015.
- Teaching assistant at Pohang University of Science and Technology
- Analytical Mechanics, Spring 2013.
- Electrodynamics I, Spring 2011.
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Fall 2010.
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Spring 2010.
- “Universality in Urban Growth” (in Korean), 물리학과 첨단기술 (Webzine published by the Korean Physical Society), May 11, 2021.
- “Open data and COVID-19: Wikipedia as an informational resource during the pandemic”, Medium, Apr 16, 2020.
- “Open data and COVID-19: Language diversity on Wikipedia”, Medium, May 14, 2020.
- Physicia Upgrade
- Upgrade and develop educational software “Physicia” for demonstrating simulations on statistical physics and nonlinear dynamics, March 2016 - September 2016.
Media coverage (selected)
- “The universal pathway to innovative urban economies”, Science Advances (2020).
- “Social mobilization and polarization can create volatility in COVID-19 pandemic control”, Applied Network Science (2021).
- “Urban green space and happiness in developed countries”, EPJ Data Science (2021).
Awards and honors
- Young Statistical Physicist Award
- Global Ph.D. Fellowship Program
- National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), March 2014–February 2017.
- Best Paper Award
- Korea Computer Congress 2021, Jun 2021.
- Excellent Poster Presentation Award
- 2017 Korean Physical Society Spring Meeting, April 2017.
- 2013 Korean Physical Society Fall Meeting, October 2013.
- Excellent Oral Presentation Award
- 2016 Korean Physical Society Fall Meeting, October 2016.
- Excellent Teaching Assistant Award
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Dept. of Physics, POSTECH, Fall 2010.
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Dept. of Physics, POSTECH, Spring 2010.
- Best Paper Award
- Undergraduate Research Program, POSTECH, 2009.
- Excellent Bachelor Thesis Award
- Dept. of Physics, POSTECH, 2009.
- Samsung Undergraduate Scholarship
- Samsung Electro-Mechanics, March 2006-February 2010.
Skills and languages
- MATLAB, Python, C
- Korean (native), English (advanced)
I. Hong, A. Rutherford and M. Cebrian, "Social mobilization and polarization can create volatility in COVID-19 pandemic control", Applied Network Science 6, 1 (2021).
I. Hong, M. R. Frank, I. Rahwan, W.-S. Jung and H. Youn, "The universal pathway to innovative urban economies", Science Advances 6, eaba4934 (2020).
A. Rutherford, M. Cebrian, I. Hong and I. Rahwan, "Impossible by Conventional Means: Ten Years on from the DARPA Red Balloon Challenge", arXiv preprint arXiv:2008.05940, (2020).
I. Hong, W.-S. Jung and H.-H. Jo, "Gravity model explained by the radiation model on a population landscape", PLoS ONE 14, e0218028 (2019).
Measuring national capability over big science’s multidisciplinarity: A case study of nuclear fusion research
H. Kim, I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "Measuring national capability over big science’s multidisciplinarity: A case study of nuclear fusion research", PLoS ONE 14, e0211963 (2019).
I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "Application of gravity model on the Korean urban bus network", Physica A 462, 48-55 (2016).
S. Lee, I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "A network approach to the transfer market of European football leagues", New Physics: Sae Mulli 65, 402-409 (2015).
I. Hong et al., "Evaluation of the imaging properties of Microwave Imaging Reflectometry", Journal of Instrumentation 7, C01077 (2012).
W. Lee et al., "Microwave imaging reflectometry system for KSTAR", Plasma and Fusion Research 6, 2402037-2402037 (2011).
H. K. Park et al., "Microwave imaging reflectometry studies for turbulence diagnostics on KSTAR", Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 10D933 (2010).
Comparative study between the reflective optics and lens based system for microwave imaging system on KSTAR
W. Lee et al., "Comparative study between the reflective optics and lens based system for microwave imaging system on KSTAR", Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 10D932 (2010).