I. Hong, M. R. Frank, I. Rahwan, W.-S. Jung and H. Youn, "The universal pathway to innovative urban economies", Science Advances 6, eaba4934 (2020).
- Ph.D. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2019.
- Complex systems (advisor: Woo-Sung Jung) - Complexity in Social System Lab.
- M.S. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2012.
- Fusion plasma diagnostics (advior: Hyeon K. Park)
- B.S. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2010.
- Center for Humans and Machines (Director: Iyad Rahwan), Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Germany
- Seoul Institute of Technology, Korea
- Visiting Researcher, Aug 2020 - Present.
- Asia Pacific Center for Theoretical Physics, Korea
- Kellogg School of Management & Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems, Northwestern University, USA
- Visiting Predoctoral Fellow, Oct 2017 - Aug 2018. (Supervisor: Hyejin Youn)
- Social mobilization
- Future of work
- Science of cities
- Human mobility models and their application to data
- Evolution of knowledge structure from bibliographic data
- Institute for Basic Science, Korea
- Data Science Group (Chief Investigator: Meeyoung Cha), Feb 2020.
- Center for International Development, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, USA
- Santa Fe Institute, USA
- Graduate Studies program, Feb 2016.
- Aalto University, Finland
- Department of Biomedical Engineering and Computational Science, Feb 2015.
- Teaching assistant at Pohang University of Science and Technology
- Analytical Mechanics, Spring 2013.
- Electrodynamics I, Spring 2011.
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Fall 2010.
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Spring 2010.
- “Open data and COVID-19: Wikipedia as an informational resource during the pandemic”, Medium, Apr 16, 2020.
- “Open data and COVID-19: Language diversity on Wikipedia”, Medium, May 14, 2020.
- Physicia Upgrade
- Upgrade and develop educational software “Physicia” for demonstrating simulations on statistical physics and nonlinear dynamics, March 2016 - September 2016.
- “The universal pathway to innovative urban economies”, Science Advances (2020)].
- “What it takes for a city to jump into the knowledge economy”, Quartz.
- “Working from ‘anywhere’ is possible — but not sustainable”, Fast Company.
- “Innovative cities follow a unique historical pattern”, Northwestern NOW.
- “스마트시티 될수록 도시·시골 간 양극화 더 확대된다”, 매일경제 (in Korean).
Awards and honors
- Global Ph.D. Fellowship Program
- National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), March 2014–February 2017.
- Samsung Undergraduate Scholarship
- Samsung Electro-Mechanics, March 2006-February 2010.
- Excellent Poster Presentation Award
- 2017 Korean Physical Society Spring Meeting, April 2017.
- 2013 Korean Physical Society Fall Meeting, October 2013.
- Excellent Oral Presentation Award
- 2016 Korean Physical Society Fall Meeting, October 2016.
- Excellent Teaching Assistant Award
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Dept. of Physics, POSTECH, Fall 2010.
- Electronics & Instrumentation Lab, Dept. of Physics, POSTECH, Spring 2010.
- Best Paper Award
- Undergraduate Research Program, POSTECH, 2009.
- Excellent Bachelor Thesis Award
- Dept. of Physics, POSTECH, 2009.
Skills and languages
- MATLAB, Python, C
- Korean (native), English (advanced)
A. Rutherford, M. Cebrian, I. Hong and I. Rahwan, "Impossible by Conventional Means: Ten Years on from the DARPA Red Balloon Challenge", arXiv preprint arXiv:2008.05940, (2020).
I. Hong, W.-S. Jung and H.-H. Jo, "Gravity model explained by the radiation model on a population landscape", PLoS ONE 14, e0218028 (2019).
Measuring national capability over big science’s multidisciplinarity: A case study of nuclear fusion research
H. Kim, I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "Measuring national capability over big science’s multidisciplinarity: A case study of nuclear fusion research", PLoS ONE 14, e0211963 (2019).
I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "Application of gravity model on the Korean urban bus network", Physica A 462, 48-55 (2016).
S. Lee, I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "A network approach to the transfer market of European football leagues", New Physics: Sae Mulli 65, 402-409 (2015).
I. Hong et al., "Evaluation of the imaging properties of Microwave Imaging Reflectometry", Journal of Instrumentation 7, C01077 (2012).
W. Lee et al., "Microwave imaging reflectometry system for KSTAR", Plasma and Fusion Research 6, 2402037-2402037 (2011).
H. K. Park et al., "Microwave imaging reflectometry studies for turbulence diagnostics on KSTAR", Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 10D933 (2010).
Comparative study between the reflective optics and lens based system for microwave imaging system on KSTAR
W. Lee et al., "Comparative study between the reflective optics and lens based system for microwave imaging system on KSTAR", Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 10D932 (2010).