I am a postdoctoral research fellow at Center for Humans & Machines (CHM), Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Germany. My research focuses on understanding social systems through data analysis and mathematical modeling, with a particular interest in scaling theory, social mobilization, urban science, human mobility, economic complexity and science of science.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2019.
- Complex systems (advisor: Woo-Sung Jung) - Complexity in Social System Lab.
- M.S. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2012.
- Fusion plasma diagnostics (advior: Hyeon K. Park)
- B.S. in Physics, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2010.
- Center for Humans & Machines, Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Germany
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Mar 2020 - Present.
- Asia Pacific Center for Theoretical Physics, Korea
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Sep 2019 - Feb 2020.
- Statisical Physics of Complex Dynamics Lab (director: Prof. Hang-Hyun Jo)
- Kellogg School of Management & Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems, Northwestern University, USA
- Visiting Predoctoral Fellow, Oct 2017 - Aug 2018. (Supervisor: Prof. Hyejin Youn)
- Social mobilization
- Modeling universal patterns in cities
- Economic complexity
- Human mobility models and their application to data
- Evolution of knowledge structure from bibliographic data
- Institute for Basic Science, Korea
- Data Science Group, Feb 2020.
- Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University, USA
- Center for International Development, Jun 2017.
- Santa Fe Institute, USA
- Graduate Studies program, Feb 2016.
- Aalto University, Finland
- Department of Biomedical Engineering and Computational Science, Feb 2015.
- Global Ph.D. Fellowship Program
- National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Mar 2014 – Feb 2017.
- Samsung Undergraduate Scholarship
- Samsung Electro-Mechanics, Mar 2006 - Feb 2010.
- “Open data and COVID-19: Wikipedia as an informational resource during the pandemic”, Medium, Apr 16, 2020.
- “Open data and COVID-19: Language diversity on Wikipedia”, Medium, May 14, 2020.
I. Hong, W.-S. Jung and H.-H. Jo, "Gravity model explained by the radiation model on a population landscape", PLoS ONE 14, e0218028 (2019).
Measuring national capability over big science’s multidisciplinarity: A case study of nuclear fusion research
H. Kim, I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "Measuring national capability over big science’s multidisciplinarity: A case study of nuclear fusion research", PLoS ONE 14, e0211963 (2019).
I. Hong, M. R. Frank, I. Rahwan, W.-S. Jung and H. Youn, "A common trajectory recapitulated by urban economies", arXiv preprint arXiv:1810.08330, (2018).
I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "Application of gravity model on the Korean urban bus network", Physica A 462, 48-55 (2016).
S. Lee, I. Hong and W.-S. Jung, "A network approach to the transfer market of European football leagues", New Physics: Sae Mulli 65, 402-409 (2015).
I. Hong et al., "Evaluation of the imaging properties of Microwave Imaging Reflectometry", Journal of Instrumentation 7, C01077 (2012).
W. Lee et al., "Microwave imaging reflectometry system for KSTAR", Plasma and Fusion Research 6, 2402037-2402037 (2011).
H. K. Park et al., "Microwave imaging reflectometry studies for turbulence diagnostics on KSTAR", Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 10D933 (2010).
Comparative study between the reflective optics and lens based system for microwave imaging system on KSTAR
W. Lee et al., "Comparative study between the reflective optics and lens based system for microwave imaging system on KSTAR", Review of Scientific Instruments 81, 10D932 (2010).